31 July 2011

Improving West Valley - Battling Gangs

We just spent a weeks vacation as a family. I'm no longer a Scoutmaster and this is the first week long vacation we've had as a family in five years and it was great. I have no regrets spending the last few years vacations with the Scouts, they've all turned out great and there are no gang members among them. (Not all me, they and their mother's should receive most of the credit.)

We can fight the gang problem in West Valley best with prevention. Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting stated if we want to keep a boy out of trouble, we need to give him something better to do. Scouting is one way, sports are another and there are many more. We can do this.

I took a couple days of our vacation to attend the annual National Conference of the United States Fencing Coaches Association. I learned much about coaching in general and instructing fencing in particular. The best three things of the conference, (not necessarily in order),

1. We received instruction from Muriel Zagunis, two time Olympic gold medalist in women's sabre.
2. I made some great new friends.
3. I tested and became nationally certified as a fencing coach by a fencing master.

May I repeat this, I'm a nationally certified fencing instructor. I'm striving to better my life and I'm pleased with this one.

I'm striving to better West Valley. This is why I'm running for City Council. Police response to crime is an average of seven minutes, if we can prevent crime and prevent gang membership by giving our youth something better to do, seven minutes will be fine.

Let's support our law enforcement by giving them less criminals to chase, let's support our youth by giving them something better than gangs.

Jeff White

No comments:

Post a Comment