01 September 2009

Tightening the Budget

I just read in the West Valley Journal that the City saved several millions of dollars by cutting costs in different departments. This is great. Now for the hard part. Did I say hard part? I meant the fun part.

We all know that the initial cutting of expenses is the easiest, so we need incentive to find ways to save money after the initial round.

I propose we offer an incentive such as this. For each department of the City, whatever you can cut from your departments budget and save, without lessening services or having layoffs, we'll divide 25% of the saved money equally amongst all employees in said department as a year end bonus.

We can use the other 75% to do any number of wise things. Such as paying down the City's bond debts, building up a rainy day fund, applying towards next years budget and lowering the West Valley City portion of property taxes, hiring more law enforcement and fire fighters, etc.

The only thing we wouldn't do with the money is spend it on new programs.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is a genius idea. I just finished the book 33 million people in the room. The author outlined how President Obama utilized the internet to create a loyal following. There are some great ideas there. Good luck. I have been following your blog updates and I am encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rolando, thanks for following my blogs and thanks for posting a comment. I don't know how many people are following this, so your comment has given me encouragement. May I ask how you came across my website? This will help me know what else I'm doing right so I can continue doing it. Thanks. Jeff

    ReplyDelete